The Irish Embassy in Paris is the jewel in the crown of all of Ireland’s embassies overseas - and it has every reason to be.
Completed in 1903 by French architect Paul-Ernest Sanson for French aristocrat and politician Henry Le Tonnelier de Breteuil, it is one of the most impressive properties owned by the Irish Government.
The building was bought in the mid-1950s and is noted for its beautiful ceilings and decor. Just two years ago, it underwent a €2.6m makeover.
The woman keeping a close eye on Ireland’s interests in France is well respected Ambassador Anne Anderson and her team of Irish diplomats.
But despite the exquisite beauty of the premises and the wealth of Irish art on display there, it is still hard to stomach its address - Rue Rude, off Avenue Foch!!
“Ah, come on, what’s Star backwards?”
8 years ago